Tuesday, September 23, 2008

CANNING


Just came home from learning how to can meat and beans in the pressure cooker. They will last for 10 years, so is a good source of Food Supply. You can it in the glass jars. It seems pretty easy, so I am going to give it a try. When the meat comes on sale that is a good time to get some to can. Also, the lady said that she cans the dry pinto beans and they turn out very tasty. Better than what you can buy in the store, and it saves money. I am all for that.

Had a great day at the Humanitarian Center, I think a lot of people decided to clean out their storage rooms and garages because it just kept coming in. WE ended up with three boxes of scraps, two grocery carts piled high with material for quilt blocks, two big boxes of fleece, a large basket full of flannel. and still have a bin to go through. It is a lot of fun. I like being there.

Well, Crew and Abby think they need to go for their nightly walk, so I will take them.

2 comments:

Sunny & Court said...

I told you that you could be a "blogger" I would love to learn to can meat and stock up and save!! You'll have to teach me how.

Our Little Corner said...

A lady came to our Enrichment last year and told us about how she canned chicken. It looked kind of gross, but she let us taste some and it was good.
I guess she was living in Michigan at the time and meat was really expensive all the time. She saw an add for chicken breast for $1.99 and got all excited. Then she called the store and asked how much they'd sell it to her for if she bought 100 lbs! They said they'd do $1 a pound, so she bought 100 lbs of chicken and then had to figure out what to do with it. Good thinkin' lady!